How to get approved for an apartment even with a criminal record

One of the most frustrating episodes one can encounter is denial of housing. Apartment complexes, which are actually managed by real estate management companies, use a number of factors to determine who should and who should not rent. One of the most common factors they use is the criminal background check. A criminal record can be one of the biggest crowds one can come across in the process of renting an apartment.

The reason apartment communities request a criminal background check is for the safety of the community as a whole in the first place. There is a general consensus that people with a violent past are destined to slip back into their previous destructive habits. The concept of history repeating itself seems to be a prevalent belief in many places when it comes to criminal records and nowhere more than in apartment leasing offices.

Another reason that apartment leasing offices conduct a criminal background check is to create the appearance of safety in the community and, in doing so, have the justification to charge more for rent. If a neighborhood or apartment housing community has a high level of crime, tenants will not want to renew their leases and this means that there will be more housing units that are vacant and that the management must occupy an owner). The more housing units that are vacant in an apartment complex, the more it will hurt the bottom line of the management because this lowers the rent.

When conducting criminal background checks, apartments typically focus on felony convictions. Misdemeanors that only carry fines are generally not a cause for concern. If you have a misdemeanor, there is no need to worry, but if it is a felony, it may be denied.

There are two main ways to get an apartment approved if you have a criminal record. The first is to check the nature of your offense and see if you received what is called a deferred adjudication. This is probation granted to first-time offenders and is also known as community supervision. If you were convicted of a misdemeanor and obtained probation, you can go to the county clerk’s office and request what is called a judicial deposition. This is a hard copy that shows the crime, the court that heard the case and the judgment that was entered, and the fact that you have deferred adjudication. The printout also indicates that you have successfully completed community service without any other incident and that you should not be discriminated against when it comes to services. You can take a copy of this document to an apartment manager and in most cases they will approve it.

Another way to get an apartment is to get a cancellation. This is the sealing of your criminal record and can be done depending on whether you are eligible. There is an excellent e-book on the market on how to get an apartment even with an existing criminal record and bad credit, and you can get it at []