It’s true that there is a certain mystique about the gym that we don’t see when we stay at home to work out. Through carefully designed brochures, we read and see the results of diligent use of the gym. It’s not that it’s impossible; it’s just that for most of us it doesn’t happen. For some, it’s about carving out enough time to go to the gym, work out, shower, and go home. For others, it’s sore muscles that keep us from returning regularly. Finally, for all of us, the cost can add up over the years, making us question the need to do so.
Whatever the reason for skipping the gym, there are a few reasons to work out at home. For these reasons, gym memberships are unnecessary.
1. Try exercise bands, exercise balls, and yoga.. Gyms are all about machines, cables, and iron bricks. Walking into a gym and picking up an exercise band and going through a yoga routine seems like a waste, but these are powerful “get in shape” tools that we shouldn’t overlook. The key to many injuries is excess weight, which is likely to happen in the competitive environment of a gym. However, we are less likely to injure ourselves with exercise bands, as the effort required gradually increases and then decreases throughout the movement. The same is true for the use of exercise balls.
2. Try a treadmill, elliptical machine, and stationary bike. There will always be days when the weather does not cooperate with our outdoor plans. In this case, the ideal is the use of a personal treadmill, elliptical machine or exercise bike. The cost is a one-time occurrence compared to owed gym membership. Find a place in your house that you can dedicate to the idea of exercising. It is not a good idea to put it in your bedroom. Keep the bedroom a place to calm down and sleep, not sweat!
3. Most go to the gym just to lose weight… eat right first. Analyze your diet and eliminate processed junk food and sweets. It’s easier to lose weight through a change in diet than it is to try to work up a sweat with a Krispy Kreme donut every day. That’s a lot of running!
4. Try walking, running and biking for real. The outdoors can be inspiring and motivating, whether it’s city streets or cow pastures. Start with small goals of a mile or two and work your way up to doubling them. See the results with just these routines to burn calories and you will forget about the gym.
5. Try a training video. There are some fantastic video training series that require very little training equipment. The Beachbody or P90x series of exercises will show off your muscles in no time.
6. Just can’t think of the time? Try adding some calorie-burning changes to your office routine at work. Stand at the desk for 15 minutes per hour. This works for some phone conversations that do not require simultaneous access to the computer. Take the elevator to the floor or two below the floor you need to go to and walk a flight or stairs or two. You won’t sweat, but you’ll burn a few extra calories each time.
There are many reasons to stay home to exercise and for these reasons we see gym memberships as unnecessary. Try some of these and get fit without the hassle!