Are you traveling with children on a long-awaited vacation? With the purpose of
make them happy and excited, include them in your vacation planning.
Don’t forget to let them help you pack. They get so excited even if it’s
one night away.
If you are not sure where to visit, ask the children what they really want.
Once the destination is chosen, have the children help plan some of the activities.
Amusement parks, water slides and general activities that entertain the little ones.
The crowd is a must. Also include downtime so both parents and kids can
If you are driving a long road, be sure to stop every two hours. Kids
I can’t stay in a because so long. Frequent stops will help stretch the body.
Plan your trip around parks or swimming areas so children can go out and be
Another great idea is to leave early in the morning or late at night when the
children are tired and more likely to nap. You can also plan your trip
around meals. Decide when and where to stop for lunch or dinner and
go out so you are in that area during that time period. Also, think about
traffic. If you have to sit in rush hour traffic, kids get nervous.
Make sure to drive through a major city during off hours.
Things to do
She has a lot of things for children in the car. It doesn’t have to be big.
When we go somewhere, my girls bring items for coloring, crafts, sewing,
tissue, dolls, books, etc.
- Sample of activities to bring:
- Simple craft items are often a hit
- Activity books
- Boards and markers
- Magnetic board games
- deck of cards
- Ipods or MP3 players
- DVD players and movies
- Books on tape
- Scrapbooks for collecting memories – can create a page while in the car or plane
Games to play
There are simple games that everyone in the car can participate in. Alone
by looking around while traveling, your imagination can soar.
- Alphabetical Words – Try to find words in alphabetical order. Someone can try to find a word that starts with A and the next person can find one that starts with B, etc.
- License Plates – This is where everyone tries to find a license plate from as many different states as possible. I remember playing this as a kid. It was fun.
- Q – This is an inexpensive game that you buy in the store or you can play it with two or more people without the electronic version. This is where someone thinks of something and the other person has to ask questions to help find clues to the answer.
- I see, I see: one person can say that I see something green, then others can try to guess what it is.
Things to bring
If you are going to the beach, be sure to bring some beach toys:
This includes buckets, shovels, boats, castle shapes, floats,
surfboards, goggles, snorkel gear. If you drive, much of this
you can bring it with you. If you are flying, you may have to buy it there or
bring just a couple of things.
Don’t forget to bring things to keep the baby busy like rattles, squeaks
toys, mirrors, things they can chew on, etc.
Once you’re there, find something to do right away to make the kids feel like
The long journey was worth it and they won’t be so complaining. Even if it means
go to the beach in the evening, to a game room, to the hotel pool or to miniature golf. That way
children will be more willing to do what they want next.
Take it easy!
Remember, this is a vacation where you need to relax and let go.
Try not to set a schedule because then it becomes stressful and not so
pleasant. Don’t try to put too much in one day. Children cannot
handle it. Make sure you get enough sleep and rest. Kids love
stay somewhere else. Whenever there is a pool or a beach, they are
When children are happy, everyone is happy!
For a fun place to travel with the family, try Lake Winnipesaukee in New
Hampshire. For more information, see